Change A Child’s Life

“Caring for a young person in your own home is more rewarding than most people think. Something as small as a ‘thank you for listening’ or ‘thank you for understanding’ is the first step in what might be an amazing friendship between child and adult.”


Have you ever thought about fostering a child?

There are vulnerable children across Victoria and Tasmania waiting for someone like you to change the direction of their life.

You don’t need to be an expert. You just need to care.

Call us on 1300 241 545 or complete the form below.


Who can be a foster carer?

At Uniting, we believe family comes in all shapes and sizes.

Foster carers are people who want to provide a safe, nurturing and caring environment for a child or young person who can’t live with their immediate family.

Foster carers can be of diverse religions, ethnicities and sexual orientations. They can be married, partnered or single, own a home or rent, employed or full-time at home.

All you need is willingness, patience and a genuine commitment to the wellbeing of the child or young person in your care.


What kind of children need foster care?

Children and young people from birth to 17 years of age need foster care. They may enter care individually or as a sibling group.

In many circumstances, children and young people in foster care have lived through varying degrees of trauma, loss and separation. Some of these early life experiences may mean that children have a variety of needs.

According to Fostering Connections, research shows quality foster care can vastly improve a child’s future and greatly reduce their chances of homelessness, unemployment, mental and physical health concerns, and involvement with the criminal justice system.

Your choice to become a foster carer could be life-changing for a child or young person.


How long do children need foster care?

There are opportunities to provide a range of flexible short and long-term foster care, from occasional care to give a child’s main carer a break, through to intensive care for children and young people with high support needs.

Care can vary from weeks to years and permanent care can transition to guardianship and adoption.

You can make a commitment that will fit in with your lifestyle and current responsibilities, while also making the world of difference for a child.


What kind of support is available for foster carers?

Carers are matched with Uniting caseworkers who provide comprehensive support and training.

We work closely with you to meet the needs of you and your family, as well as the needs of the child or young person in your care.


Where do we need foster carers?

Right now we urgently need more foster carers in the following regions of Victoria:

  • Melbourne’s West
  • Melbourne’s East
  • West Victoria
  • Wimmera
  • Outer Gippsland

I’m interested in becoming a foster carer and want to know more – what do I do?

Call us on 1300 241 545 or complete the form below and we will make contact with you.

Enquire about becoming a Foster Carer