We recognise that for many people the experience of being in care as a child or young person may have had a lasting impact on their lives, and the lives of their families.
This free service exists to support you if you spent some or all of your childhood in out-of-home care services provided by the Uniting Church in Victoria, and your family members.
Were you or a family member in out-of-home care?
We hold records, photographs, historical material and other documents that date from 1890 to now for the following Uniting founding agencies.
- Uniting Connections (previously Connections UnitingCare
- Uniting Gippsland (previously UnitingCare Gippsland)
- Uniting Harrison (previously UnitingCare Harrison)
- Uniting Kildonan (previously Kildonan UnitingCare)
- Uniting Lentara (previously Lentara UnitingCare)
- Uniting Wesley (previously Wesley Mission Victoria)
- Uniting Wimmera (previously Wimmera UnitingCare)
- Uniting Wyndham (previously UnitingCare Werribee Support and Housing)
How we can assist you
We can help you access information about your or your family member’s time in care and support you in the journey to better understand your past.
We can also help with:
- Searching and providing information such as records, photographs, historical material and other documents
- Supporting you through the process of release of information – for example, help with reading, contextualising and understanding the content of records
- Searching for family members or other significant people
- Assisting with applications for records from other agencies and records holders
- Providing counselling support
- Making referrals to external counsellors
- Making referrals to a range of external health and social support services
- Organising reunions
How to access information and support
Past residents and family members are encouraged to contact Manager, Uniting Heritage Service, Catriona Milne on 03 8644 1531.
Or you may wish to write to us in your own words. Email our Heritage Service Manager, Catriona Milne or address your letter to:
Uniting Heritage Service
Locked Bag 8
A’Beckett Street PO
Melbourne VIC 8006
Photographs and memorabilia
We deeply regret that record keeping practices of the past have meant that many records were not retained, or if retained, are very scant. Photographs and memorabilia are important in giving people a clearer sense of their history, particularly where information is scarce, and we have a collection of these which you can view. We are interested in hearing from people who may have kept photographs and other items from their time in care.
Records from Tally Ho (1903-1986)
Uniting Wesley holds minimal records from Tally Ho Training Farm prior to the 1980s and has for some time been actively searching for personal records and other documents to assist past residents seeking information about their time at Tally Ho. It had been thought that a fire or fires may have been the reason why the records are incomplete.
Learn more about the records from Tally Ho.
Uniting Church apology
The Uniting Church in Australia has issued an apology to children who suffered neglect and abuse while in institutional care provided by the Uniting Church, its former denominations (Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational) and its agencies during the last century.
More resources and information
The following services and websites may provide you with further support and information.